Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Before He Jumped by Gilbert Blythe | Review

 
Series: Why He Jumped
 
Published: August 4th, 2015 by Wattpad
 
Pages: 15
 
Date Finished: August 5th, 2015
 
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
 
Age Recommendation: 12+
 
I expected Before He Jumped by Gilbert Blythe to have the same type of writing style as it's sequel Why He Jumped and when I went into it, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the author had changed things up a bit. I really enjoyed Why He Jumped so I was excited to read this book/short story. I knocked off half a star just because the writing didn't leave me breathless but I still enjoyed it very much.
 
Before He Jumped takes place before the events of Why He Jumped. It follows Adam who discovers a site called Wattpad where people write stories and poems and post them for people to read. Throughout the book, Adam appears happy but deep down, you can tell that something isn't right. Adam isn't as happy as he lets on. Through the course of Before He Jumped there are also Wattpad "drafts" and canceled text messages of Adam reaching out for help that he doesn't send or post and people start getting worried about him. They know something's wrong... But unfortunately no one is there to catch Adam when he falls.
 
I loved the raw emotion of this book. I could really connect with Adam because I've been where he was and the author doesn't hold any of that back. I also really liked Adam's sense of humor through his Wattpad posts as well as his bromance with Matt. I wish it could have been a bit longer though.
 
I think everyone should read this series. It really opens your eyes to the harshness of mental illness and more people need to know the consequences certain actions can have on others. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment