Saturday, August 29, 2015

Velvet Vests by xPureChances | Review


Series: The Garments Series

Published: July 29th, 2014 by Wattpad

Pages: 14

Date Finished: August 29th, 2015

Rating: 5/5 stars

Age Recommendation: --


Velvet Vests by xPureChances was just as amazing as the other books in The Garments Series. I was not disappointed at all and was quite pleasantly surprised that the book featured a disabled person since I am disabled myself. I could identify with lot of the situations Reed had to go through on a daily basis because I've dealt with them myself. The author did a great job at approaching things with an open mind and didn't come across as offensive at all, which I really appreciated.

Velvet Vests is the wonderful love story of Reed -who is wheelchair bound after a car accident that left her paralyzed from the waist down- and Leo, also known as Ghost -an able bodied teenage boy who loves Reed with all his heart, much to Reed's dismay. It follows Reed as she tries to overcome the denial that Ghost is just using her and maybe even wanting her for unspoken things and Ghost who, despite being shot down by Reed time and time again, continues to pine after her heart in the most adorable ways. That all gets wrapped up in a short while with an end you definitely don't see coming.

I absolutely loved Reed and -as stated before- could really identify with her. Especially since I've felt the way she felt numerous times about Ghost, just in my personal life with other guys. I admire the author for taking such a brilliant, risky step with Reed as a character and refusing to shy away from reality that, yes, people do stare and many people are not at all comfortable with the fact that there are people with different struggles around in our everyday lives. I also enjoyed how she showed the kindness in Ghost and made me realize that not all people are out to get disabled individuals and sometimes people really do love and care about you. Ghost is such a sweetie. I do wish Velvet Vests was just a little bit longer though... It was sort of short compared to the other books in the series.

I loved Velvet Vests and I will surely be continuing the series with Cotton Cardigans and Hodden Hoodies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment